Game Truck Poisons guests at party (Story via CNN.com)
game truck activity ends with brain injury (story via AJC.com)
Atlanta (CNN) Fire crews responding to a call about an unconscious child at a birthday party soon found themselves dealing with a much bigger emergency: Nine people, most of them children, sick or unconscious with signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The incident happened Tuesday in Sharpsburg, Georgia, just south of Atlanta, as the kids played in a rented video-game trailer. A leak from the trailer's generator filled the trailer with dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide, authorities said.
It started with just one child passing out -- but when another stumbled and fell unconscious, parents began to evacuate the trailer.GameTruck, the company that rented out the vehicle (GameTruck Atlanta North), said it has "never had an incident like this in the 11-year-history of the company." In a statement sent to CNN, the company said it was working on replacing carbon monoxide detectors in all trailers "immediately."
Nine children and two GameTruck employees were in the trailer for about 90 minutes before the symptoms began, according to the incident report from Coweta County Fire and Rescue. Both employees and seven of the children were taken to local hospitals; everyone was treated and released the same day.
The children ranged in age from 6 to 11 and the employees were 18 and 20, Fire Capt. Craig Sherrer told CNN. Parents were inside the house watching the younger kids. The owner of the home where the truck was parked could not be reached for comment.
After inspecting the trailer, firefighters measured 27 parts per million of carbon monoxide inside -- 2 ppm more than what Sherrer said people should be exposed to over an 8-hour period.
He said the firefighters "know for a fact" that the levels were much higher than that when the children were still inside, since the generator had been turned off and measurements were taken 45 minutes after emergency crews arrived.
Firefighters said the carbon monoxide detector inside the trailer was not working. They noted in the incident report that the detector was "chirping as if the battery were dead."
GameTruck operates franchises in more than 30 states, offering climate-controlled trailers filled with video games, game consoles and TV screens.
In its statement, GameTruck said it requires routine maintenance for all equipment.
"We are currently looking into the situation and hope to identify the cause of the problem in the coming days," the statement said.
Sherrer said children and elderly adults are more prone to carbon monoxide poisoning, which is difficult to sense because the gas is colorless and tasteless. The first line of defense, he said, is a carbon monoxide detector.
Typical symptoms include headaches, fatigue and weakness. Sherrer also cited a "group of people randomly falling unconscious" as a warning sign.
HS senior suffers brain injury while playing bubble soccer by: Craig Lucie
SMYRNA, Ga. - A Cobb County high school senior is in the hospital with a brain injury after a game of bubble soccer.
Salvador “Chava” Reyes was celebrating the end of Campbell High School soccer season with his teammates when he collided with another player, causing the traumatic head injury.
In bubble soccer, players wear inflatable bubbles and run into each other, but during the team’s celebration game Friday something went wrong.
Reyes, who was captain of the Spartan’s boys soccer team, was going up for a header when he collided with another player and flew back onto the ground.
“His forehead just immediately shattered internally and he had some bleeding in his brain,” his sister, Ruby Reyes, said, Chava was just two weeks from graduation when the accident happened.
“He was counting down for it,” Ruby Reyes said.
She says her brother was getting ready to try out for a professional soccer team in Mexico after his graduation.
Now he’s in the Critical Care Unit at Kennestone Hospital facing a long road to recovery.
“He can open his eyes a little more because the swelling has gone down,” Ruby Reyes said.
Doctors are now waiting for the swelling to go down even more before they perform a reconstructive surgery.
One of his coaches, Pierina Anderson, says his teammates are distraught and they are pulling together to help him.
“He had a future for him and we just need all help we can to help the family,” Anderson said.
Several charity soccer games have been scheduled to help raise money for Chava’s medical bills. You can also help the family by donating on their GoFundMe page. Or to the Salvador Reyes Donation Fund at any Wells Fargo bank. Follow his Facebook page for updates on his recovery and fundraisers.
The bubble soccer is an activity rented out by GameTruck Atlanta North.